Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Nature Trail Tribute: Marvin E. Loyd

I was thinking about how I ever got
the idea for a nature trail at Farm Life
School.  The first thoughts that came to
me were the influence of Camp Cherokee
and my years as nature instructor there.

But I realized the roots go further back, to
 the influence of my father, to enjoy, study,
 and cherish the amazing world of nature.

This page from "Georgia Forest Lookout"
from 1931 shows that Daddy (Marvin E. Loyd)
diligently studied to enhance his own knowledge
and love of the natural world.

Here's Daddy at age 17 after winning
a prestigious forestry competition.
(Us Loyds are used to having our
name misspelled.)


Though Daddy did not end up in forestry
as his life work, his experiences at the
Vocational Camp at Young Harris had a
lasting impact.  He transmitted much of 
that to me through what he shared about
plants and animals-- especially liriodendron
tulipifera.


When I was a boy, Daddy often took
us on vacations to the mountains of
North Georgia and western North Carolina.
When he camped, explored and surveyed that
region as a camper, it was a rugged, wild
area indeed.  This was even a few years before
the Civilian Conservation Corps began to
make improvements with new roads, trails,
and facilities.  Daddy had tales of hiking up
Brasstown Bald, the tallest mountain in Georgia,
of avoiding rattlesnakes near Clingman's Dome,
and generally having the time of his life.

So thanks, again, Daddy for getting me
off to a good start! I'm still hiking and loving
every minute in the great outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment